Sunday, March 19, 2006

Flashbacks to black and white keys...

Though Vladamir Horowitz is my favorite pianist,
Victor Borge is a good memory of childhood. He
appeared on the Muppet Show a few times. Victor Borge
had a gift for comedy and music.

"Laughter is the closest distance between two people."

I recently had the opportunity to apply for a group piano teacher position at a piano school. I'd like to do it for the teaching practice and also because I do love the piano. I started lessons at age four with Catherine Manzer. She played with the Philadelphia Philharmonic and had been a chorus girl in those old aquatic bathing beauties flicks back in the day. I trained classically and for competitions
for 8 years with her. She would have yearly formal recitals. When I moved to Ohio, I got a teacher from the Oberlin Conservatory and trained with her for a year and a half. Because I moved so much and switched teachers so much, I never competed. I also started to hate the piano because I was always getting my ass kicked for skipping practices. I have had a lot of experience playing for choirs and with other instruments. I also taught an 8 year old and a 12 year old when I was a teenager for about a year. Though I
do not feel that music is the pursuit that drives me, music is like another language that I long to speak sometimes. I would like to incoporate it into my life somehow. It has been feeling missing for several years.

Posted Later...

No comments: