Thursday, September 14, 2006

The aftermath of 9/11 and 9/12...

Conspiracy theorists thriving, and the politics continue...As a math education major, I find myself in my education 16 class at Brooklyn College wondering about the question posed in class...How do we, the future generation of educators, teach about the events of 9/11?...One girl in class said that we must treat it like any other war, after all there were not as many casualties as the Civil War or as many atrocities as the Holocaust...I found myself swirling in my thoughts that the media has too much sway in what people think about the events of 9/11 especially in parts of the US outside of New York...And really, we don't know anything about this except what we are spoon-fed by the government...I believe history will write itself as time goes on, changing as more facts come out and we are given space to take real reflection...I found myself around the WTC Memorial site today and had that feeling of dread that I feel at looking at art dedicated to any war memorial, not because I didn't feel the severe heaviness of the place, but because there was a certain levity in life going on, that thousands of people died right there and I was looking at photos. The day after...Spitzer won for Democratic candidate for Governor...I like his campaign slogan...It seemed honorable...He said change will happen from the very first day if he is elected to office...He will not do things because they're easy or popular, but because they're right...He brought up examples of how things must change for that single mom struggling upstate, thinking about moving to another place just because she can't make ends meet, that Brooklyn girl wanting to learn but not able to because of the state of schools, etc...We'll see if he gets past Faso...I don't even want to talk about Hilary...

Added 5/12/08...Spitzer has proven that his voracious sexual appetite for high-paid prostitutes will get him out of office quick and will also humiliate him, especially in front of all his enemies made as a lawyer, in the process. It is too bad I was so taken in by his seemingly honest campaign slogans. Now that Hilary is in the running for President, and putting up quite a stubborn dragging of the feet, I can only say that she really isn't thinking of what's best for the Dems, she's thinking of herself...Not the kind of candidate I'd like to see, not that she was doing such a good job for New York anyway...

No comments: