Sunday, March 05, 2006

men and women in my life series

The criteria for this set of paintings was that the subjects had to be people who changed the world in some major way by either inventing something that has since become a household item...or by bringing to mind some imagery like folkloric mythology just at the mention of their names...

The people all have nametags on...

men and women in my life series
Originally uploaded by snailsone.

The women are Eve, the two Marys, Medusa, Joan Ganz Cooney, Nettie Stevens, Harriet Tubman, Hypatia, Lucille Ball, JK Rowling, Grace Hopper, Calamity Jane, Dorothea Dix, Margaret Bourke-White...

I grew up as a latchkey kid and spent most of my time with my head in my books because I didn't hang out with too many other kids...I learned as I grew older that you choose who you want to affect you, even if it's only stories you've read about these people...

The men in my life include Ink76, Fidel, Nero, Amadeus Mozart, Nikola Tesla, George Westinghouse, Honore Daumier, Dee Hock, Gandhi, Will Eisner, Jim Henson, William Shakespeare, Stevie Wonder, KRS one, Lane Meyer (John Cusack in Better Off Dead), Jimmy Carter, and Charles Eames...I chose Nero because that tall tale about him playing the fiddle as the city burns up around him is how I've always envisioned man...

No comments: