Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Zero Chemistry = Anthropology/Archaeology...also a review of "The Run Up", a good reason to go to school...

So yeah, I feel a bit lame in that I am fickle, after becoming uninspired from feeling overwhelming pressure to retain the specificities that separate the professional from the enthusiastic hobbyist, but also a lot relieved...I changed my major today, talked to the Deputy Head of the Anthropology Department, and this sudden change of heart occurred all after only seven weeks as a student Chemist...Ideally I would've liked to have been an Environmental Chemist, maybe in an alternate universe, but I broke it to my Mom that, "I ain't that smart..." I mean, all my other requirements would be finished by next year and what would be left would be all the purely Physical Sciences...Man, I think I'd have a nervous breakdown if I did that to myself...I mean, all Advanced Chem, Biology AND Physics at the same time...It really burst her bubble, I think, but underneath it all, I think she knew it was all wrong for me, the Mathematician or the Chemist outfits I was trying on...Perhaps if I was at a different point in my life, I mean younger and less tired of the retention of just straight facts with no real sparks of interest flying around and proving of mathematical theorems, not so distracted by other interests...but I also don't think I'm the type to be cooped up in a sterile environment wearing a lab coat and goggles, oh especially the goggles, mixing things using fire and other types of possibly dangerous solutions...And when I would come home from class, I would just complain to C about what happened in Chem class that day, really distressed because I was put off by it...The one class I have come home talking his ear off about is the one involving social theory, injustices and cultural/global/governmental issues...Plus naturally with the experiences that I have accumulated through graff and the art world and just living in this world, I am a sponge for research and query, one thing I learned from my experience in graff is getting a feel for knowing who to believe when you filter through the history information, sift through what a broad range of people say, not taking everything as facts until you know it to be the reality, taking sources with a grain of salt...finding firsthand sources, citing them properly...Like tonight Greg and I watched "The Run Up"...Mr. Cartoon (though his style of art is not really a favorite style of mine, I respect him for his work 'cuz he's damn good at what he does)...made everyone else look like clowns in the movie 'cuz he came with wisdom, not a bunch of commercials posing as documentary footage and he had the skills of someone who stuck with something he loved even though life was happening around him, but that maybe also saved him, didn't turn him into some phoney masturbating into the camera blowing himself up so much or as Greg put it, "talking that art space bullsh*t"...In most of the segments, the up-close with the artist, who in most cases and them speaking...wow, it really ruined their art for me in most cases...Made me glad that I wasn't in the position that I was behind a camera yakking away unnecessarily and/or showing work that kinda was lacking ...Yeah, I really wouldn't want to be an "art star"...Watching that movie was like seeing the awful ugly-hearted man pulling all these strings and pulleys behind the big curtain of artwork with all the special effects...Destroys the whole fantasy...There were a couple of exceptions. The two English guys, Mr. Jago & Will Barras, creating the Design Agency in response to a book they had previously put out, now that would be pretty cool to do an animated spot on Nickelodeon and of course the legendary Bodes (Vaughan and Mark)...I think the artists interviewed outside the US had more of a grip on reality, not tripped up by that problem with ego or that need to demand confirmation that they are famous...Famous is all a matter of to who? Making a living by doing art is not the issue. I spent a sleepless night after watching the 2 set disc...and found that there's two kinds of people...the kind who's seen too much to talk, who if you don't come correct to, don't step on their block 'cuz they won't waste their time, or the gotta-get-over-on-everyone 'cuz real life hasn't slapped them in the face...hopefully yet...and they talk and play the victims and have ulterior motives, trying to be deep when they only seem to drown themselves in their fluff...with amazing rubber jaws so they can exhibit their incredible abilities to suck their own _________...

Viva la Elocution! YA!

Yeah, the course list sounds like fun...Indiana Jones dreams, I suppose...But what's wrong with that?...I remember at MassArt I took a class called Glories of Ancient Greece...The teacher was a career changer, decided late in life to go back to school to study Archaeology; she had a lot of experience with history and culture because she had been on digs in Greece...I thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever heard and she seemed really happy about it, I think she even said it was the best decision she'd ever made...Anyways, I don't want to cry wolf about my major...I feel like there's a lot of people invested in the eventual outcome of this whole going back to school again thing but then again, how are you going to find out something doesn't fit unless you try it on?

No comments: