Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What! I'm Listening to...(Part 7)

So yeah, it's been about revisiting the past and selecting music from other times in my life...The Gipsy Kings began in Catalonia and the coast into France, therefore their Spanish is a bit different...They remind me of days spent with an old friend in Cali and now Alex...The guitars are amazing...Damian Marley is probably my favorite of the remaining Marleys...He is socially political, forthright, and brings back a pride to his people that illuminates his Dad's spirit within himself...His whole repertoire is not all heavy, but the following Youtube video, "Confrontation" is...


Bounty Killer is an old favorite who I have found has partnered with many newer acts for his latest album...Checking out some of his latest seleections, I am really not too crazy about that sound, but it's probably just because I'm not crazy about that type of hiphop that is fused into the latest music...Air is the French duo that did the soundtrack to the "Virgin Suicides"...Their ambient style music gives electronica the feeling that the "frisbee never lands"...Puerto Rican Power and Fania All Stars are on the Latin lineup...Alex grew up with the Fania All Stars as they are classic Latin music and his Dad was in the audience from one of their record covers..."Nuestra Cosa", the 70's documentary starring acts such as Fania All Stars on Latin culture in New York is on my Netflix queue...I finally found out who does that song "Bun and Cheese", Robert French...DJ Hurricane's last album, "Don't Sleep" was without too many ties to the Beasties except for background vocals by Adam Horovitz is pretty good...Got a few tracks off it...Cymande, a well-sampled and talented group of musicians who came together in London from Guayana and Jamaica are the roots of rasta soul funk jazz...If you like them, check out Mandrill...The Meters are funky and remind me of chill days as a young kid growing up in the 70's... S.O.U.L. is also recommended, but I haven't found them anywhere yet...For those blues lovers, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells (harmonica playing vocalist) put out a few records in the 60's that are on point...I think I've got the heart for the blues plus I love the harp...Not wanting to forget about you dancehall/ska/reggae heads, I'm diggin' in tha crates for some Desmond Dekker...A new one for ya...Flobots was created by a classically trained violinist and a jazz trumpet player...Okay, even though they did a song for the OC soundtrack, Spoon deserves an honorable mention here, too...The Cool Kids from Illinois is on the hiphop playlist...

Later...Found an old playlist of dancehall...On it are Lt. Stitchie, U-Roy, Big Youth, Dennis Alcapone, Daddy Freddy, Lee Van Cliff, Lone Ranger...

No comments: